Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Like Mother Yurt Daughter

Just as my mother did back in her college days, I will be living in a yurt (a yurt community actually, called Mosswood Hollow). My yurt is twenty feet in diameter and a short 2-5 minute walk from Anake's "campus," land which they call Linne Doran. For those of you who pictured me ruffing it in a debris shelter for the year, sorry to disappoint you. Although I do hope I'm out hiking, camping, and sleeping outside as much as possible, my yurt will be pretty comfy-cozy throughout the year. I will have electricity, a toaster oven, and even a mini fridge. In addition, there is a main house on the property, built for retreat gatherings, that will provide some of our other amenities. The layout of the main house is such that one side is where our bathrooms are and where the porch wraps around providing internet access. The other side is where folks eat, meet and stay when they're attending a retreat. There's even a hot tub we can use when the retreaters aren't using it!

I also now have an established roommate to live with for the year--a wonderful young women named Michelle, whom I have talked to a few times over the telephone. She is an environmental journalist working out of Seattle, and is participating in the Anake Outdoor School as a way to reconnect with nature and spend some time outside of the office. She seems really nice and I am excited to get to know her better. A few days ago she took a trip up to Mosswood Hollow to see our yurt and take pictures for us. These are some she emailed over: the entrance to Mosswood Hollow (above), the main house, our yurt overlooking the pond, and inside our yurt.







1 comment: