Monday, August 15, 2011

Waterfalls, sheeps milk, and beer.

Phew. It's so great to have some days "off." It's funny to put it that way, because these days have been some of the most exhilarating and physically challenging yet.
Yesterday a few friends and I took to one of the many amazing hiking trails here in WA. We only hiked about five or six miles round trip on a well maintained path, but damn. I don't know if I've ever climbed that many boulders and stairs before, or if I ever want to again. I guess that's a lie... I would totally go again tomorrow if given the chance. :-) Along the way we were all quizzing each other with plant ID and edible/medicinal values. I was surprised by how much I've already learned. Anyways, our final destination was a completely stunning waterfall called Bridal Falls. It was HUGE. The trail came out right at the bottom of the waterfall and you could walk out onto the rocks below, nearly underneath the falls. Not only was the water absolutely frigid, but the power of the falling water made incredible winds that shot out tiny water droplets, which stung our goose-bumped legs. It was so loud and so massive that as soon as I stepped out into its presence, I couldn't help but let out a belly-shaking howl. Hahaha. Normal people may have been weirded out... this group joined right in with all kinds of hooting and howling. I wonder how that sounded for the people still on their way up. :-)
Today I woke up early... not by choice, might I add. Some of the boys here decided to get up real early to go for a morning run. Of course it had to begin with a pass by my tent and some more hooting and hollering. Anyhow, I decided to get up and start living up the day. I worked for the residents hauling gravel, weeding; I even learned to milk a sheep! My newly trained hands were pretty clumsy and the momma sheep got a little pissy at me and ended up stepping in the bucket. I also accidentally squirted milk on my leg. Hahaha. Needless to say I need some more practice. After the milking escapade, I made a really sweet dream catcher--three tiered, using caddisfly homes as beads and feathers from the chickens we harvested last week. I think I'm going to give it to one of the apprentices (whom we call Frog) for being so kind and giving me rides, pizza, shampoo, beer, etc.
Speaking of beer, I think I am finally starting to develop a taste! Wahoo! I drank a beer the night before last and one last night as well, and almost enjoyed them both times. Frog just put in a small slice of lemon for me, and badaboom badabing--delish.
I have been really bad about taking pictures lately, I even forgot my camera on the hike (just means I'll have to go again sometime). I'll try and keep up with that and upload them soon.
For now, off shoot some arrows. Sending my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment