This week has been pretty quiet. There was a survival class that was being run all week, so everyone else has been busy with that. I worked a little bit on the farm, but I've mostly been hitting the books hard almost everyday... I've been studying up on small house design--how to maximize small spaces for the most use and comfort. I'm in the process of designing multiple houses (primarily using cob, big surprise, aye?). It just makes want to start building NOW. Or at least start collecting materials and furniture so that when I do start building someday, everything will be there and ready to go.
I also started a basket. The frame is mostly red alder branches with a little willow, and then the main weaving will be with cattail. It's looking really nice so far, we'll see how it turns out (I'll try and remember to take some pictures while I work on it). I finished the frame today, now I just have to soak the dried cattail for a bit to get them workable.
Tonight a bunch of us got together and cooked a feast. We made kale mashed potatoes with onions and garlic in a thick mushroom gravy. Then for dessert we had vegan freezer fudge made mainly from almond butter and chocolate chips. So incredible. Everything was entirely organic, vegan, no preservatives, even cooked in non-aluminum, non-stick pans. Haha. (One of the interns is a little crazy about his food.) I know I've already said this, but there's just something amazing about cooking together and sharing food with a group. There was so much thanksgiving going around and such a great energy in the air. It's the little things that add up here. Like tonight, for example, one of us accidently put in way too much liquid aminos and it carried over into the final taste. At first he kept apologizing, but then someone perked up with, "Well, maybe there is someone here that really needs them tonight." It's simple words like that that make me take a step back and thank the greater energy for bringing me here to this place and to these people.
It's hard to think I'm leaving this place in less than a week... I'm not really, though. I'm going to try to make their weekly potlucks and continue helping out on the farm when I can. There's no way I'm not going to continue being a part of this community. It seems like that's an ongoing trend for Alderleaf. Shaun decided he's going to stay here for the 9-month program. So excited for him. :-)
This week has been quite the soul searching journey for me. Not entirely sure what caused it or why now, but it's been interesting. If you're interested in what I mean or want to help me through some crazy times, get in touch with me. Especially you elders out there, your wisdom is much respected and appreciated. Sorry is this post seemed scatter-brained... It's late and I'm very tired.
Another great vegan gravy is caramelized onion gravy!
ReplyDelete